Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Reminders to Help Me Live My Best Life



Reminders to Help Me Live My Best Life

·       I'm imperfect, like everyone else, and that's okay.  My self-worth is not dependent on an accomplishment, a number, or a status.
·       Life contains sadness, pain, illness, death, and loss.  These are universal human experiences.
·       Pain is out of my control.  Self-compassion is in my control.
·       I am constantly changing.  My world is constantly changing.  Everything I experience (physical, mental, and emotional) will change too.
·       Being perfect is not what connects people.  Vulnerability brings us closer together.
·       Letting go doesn't mean giving up, but rather accepting that there are things that cannot be.
·       If I knew I only had a week to live, I should ask, "What would be important?"
·       There are no "bad" feelings.  There are, however, unhelpful reactions to difficult feelings.  Experiencing uncomfortable feelings doesn't mean there’s something wrong with me, it makes me human.
·       Playing is not irresponsible; in fact it's the opposite.  Fun is necessary for happiness.
·       The longest relationship I'll have in my life is the one with myself.  Other people will come and go, but I'll be with myself from birth until death.  The sooner I decide to start being kind to myself, the longer I’ll have to live life supporting rather than undermining myself.
·       My waking life and responsibilities should not cause me to neglect the very real benefits of sleep, rest, and dreaming.  Restoration is essential.
·       Whatever it is that I'm going through, chances are there are thousands of others going through a similar experience.  We're all in this together.
·       To ask for help is not a sign of weakness.  On the contrary, it's actually a sign of strength and courage.
·       What's the worst that can happen?  Consider that question.  Then ask: "What do I need to survive that?"
·       Things come together and fall apart, and come together and fall apart again.  This is what life is.
·       There are no objective truths. How I perceive myself and my world is flexible and can change.
·       Acceptance is not about liking, wanting, or condoning.  Acceptance can liberate us.                                                                               
·       Humans are resilient beings.  I am programmed to heal.
·       We have the ability to find meaning in our suffering.  Sometimes it just takes creativity.
·       Instead of wasting energy on things I can’t change or redo, I’ll strive to redirect my focus toward what’s possible. 
·       What serves another person might not serve me, and vice versa.
·       Realistic expectations alleviate unnecessary pain, disappointment, and frustration. 
·       My energy changes from moment to moment and I accept that there are times I cannot give it my all.
·       I am a creature of routines and habits, but I also do my best not to sleepwalk through life.









No comments:

Post a Comment